10 Questions with Carol Menken-Schaudt



10 Questions with Carol Menken-Schaudt




Carol Menken-Schaudt decided to play on LBCC’s first-ever women’s basketball team, which was only the start of her outstanding basketball career. With not having much experience in basketball due to girls sports not being a priority back then, her skills began to improve immensely when she started playing for Linn-Benton. Oregon State University was calling her name and the U.S Olympic team was shortly after as well.


Menken-Schaudt took every opportunity she could to continue to play basketball, being the 6-foot-4 athlete she is. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, opportunities like those were hard to find, especially as a woman. She is now working full-time in radio and most importantly spending time with her family.



What was it like at that time and deciding to take on college basketball?

When I graduated from high school in 1975 there wasn't a lot going on in girl's or women's sports. I liked sports and participated in high school when sports were available. At Jefferson High School they only had girl's basketball when they could find someone to coach, which wasn't every year.



What made you decide to play basketball at Linn-Benton?

I was already a student at LBCC before they had a women's basketball team. I was in the graphics arts program, but midway through my sophomore year I decided to change majors. It was during my third year at LBCC they started up a women's basketball team. Since I was already on campus, and because I was 6 foot 4 inches I was invited to try out for the team. There were only seven players at tryouts so we all made the team.


How did you decide to go to OSU and play there?

My LBCC coach, Dave Dangler, saw my potential and suggested that I approach OSU about playing for them. After meeting with the OSU coach I wasn't very optimistic about my chances for a scholarship, but after the season I received an offer for a partial scholarship at OSU and decided to grab it. I didn't learn until decades later that I was only the second female athlete at OSU to receive an athletic scholarship.


What kind of places did playing on an Olympic team bring you?

I played for the US National three years (1981,1983 and the 1984 Olympics). Combine that with playing eight years overseas and I have been able to visit dozens of countries throughout Europe and Asia, plus a trip to Central America and Cuba. It's been an education for sure.


Did you create any special bonds with teammates on any of the teams you played on?

I have reconnected through Facebook with many of my former teammates, especially teammates from teams I played for in Italy after college. Prior to Facebook I wasn't very good at keeping in touch. Letter writing was not really my thing, and long-distance phone calls used to be very expensive.


What did life look like for you after the Olympics?

After the Olympics I returned to Italy to play professional basketball. I played a total of six years (two pre-Olympics and four post-Olympics) in Italy, then played an additional two years in Japan before retiring from basketball.


If you could go back in time and change anything about your basketball career, would you? Why?

Not really. I started playing late, but I feel that actually worked to my advantage. I was able to have a long professional career without any major injuries. I really believe the reason is because I started playing late, after my body was fully developed. I'm very pleased with the opportunities I had and feel I walked through every open door that was presented to me.


What was it like for your kids having a mom as a professional athlete? Were sports always a big part of their lives growing up?

It was pretty normal for them, although, as with all kids, it took a while before they recognized how significant an Olympic gold metal is. Both of my kids participated in sports. My son, Brian Schaudt, did track for the U of O. My daughter, Laura Schaudt, played volleyball for Oregon State, then went on to a five-year career playing professionally overseas.


What do you like to do in your free time? What do you do for a living now?

I am mostly working, taking care of my Mom and having fun with my grandson. I currently work full-time at HOPE 107.9 radio locally. We are a Contemporary Christian radio station. I work with our advertisers.


Do you have any advice for current student athletes?

Don't waste this opportunity. It will be over before you know it, so stay focused every day.





At a Glance:


Carol Menken-Schaudt

Family: Two adult kids, Brian who is a DPT student at George Fox and Laura who recently retired from a five-year professional volleyball career overseas, and now is living in Texas. Carol is divorced.

Favorite sports team: Oregon State Women’s basketball team

Age: 63

Awards: 1984 Summer Olympics - Gold Medal and Oregon State University Hall of Fame

Education: Jefferson High School, Linn-Benton Community College, and Oregon State University

College Major: Bachelor of Science degree in Broadcast Communications





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LBCC Volleyball Team Craving To Be Back On The Court

LBCC Men's and Women's Basketball Teams Are Finding Ways To Keep Things Rolling Even With Covid

10 questions With Jayme Frazier